Like Laughing in Church

Assignment: Learning to communicate quietly

Not that long ago, I came across an article about a fellow co-sleeping family where the husband and wife felt like secretive teenagers whispering to one another in bed, for fear of waking the wee that sleeps between them.

I often think about that article, in the wee hours of the evening as my husband and I are using our limited sign language to communicate across our sleeping babe.
Or how we hold in our laughter when a loud noise explodes out of her behind, astonished it was made by our sweet, little angel and not one of us!
Or how we have mastered the ability to be whacked full on in the face by a 5-inch arm, mid-sleep without one peep, just a giant smile.
Or the first time she giggled in her sleep, the way we looked over at each other, knowing that our hearts had fully melted with that little sound...
She is helping us learn the art of silent communication.

And then....
In the morning, when a chubby hand rests on my face and a happy baby stares me in the eyes, there simply are no words needed.