Post Pregnancy Brain


Assignment: Dealing with 'pregnancy brain', post pregnancy

When I was pregnant, I was cool as a cucumber.
I mellowed out to focus on keeping positive and sharp for the little. mysterious person growing inside.

Then Olivia arrived.

I could see people's lips moving but had no idea what was being said.
Not a clue.
When she laid on my chest for the very first time, I experienced my first bout of so-called 'pregnancy brain'. None of those insightful books mention that this phenomenon may arrive post pregnancy. And stick around!

It is like my only connection to Planet Earth are her immediate needs.
When she is hungry, had enough, about to get sick, needing to play or rest.
I leap before she lets out a peep.
I sway in sync with the other mothers in the room swaddling their wee.
My mouth moves while my mind wanders; nap, eat, poop, play, change, cuddle, kiss (never in any predictable order...lots of the latter.)
I have regressed in a profound way!

My old and organized brain is MIA.

I have to read the same line of a book four times before it registers.
My husband has to repeat most of what he says if he wants me to respond.
Things that once seemed very straightforward have all gone to pots.

Yesterday morning, I tried to arrange for a family gathering in a United States park.
We are Canadian.

In the afternoon, I was confused as to why I could not call an agency in Beijing with Hong Kong area codes.

Last night, I asked my husband the temperature.
"18 degrees hot or cold?" I questioned.
To which, he did not know what to say.

Note: these are only yesterdays examples:)

People who once received a Christmas card from China will have to wait until Spring.
The baby has arrived and that is all the mother knows.