Vegan Bites: Broken Purple Heart

 Jelly Tester
Broken Purple Heart

My mom loves introducing jello to kids for the first time. It starts off solid and then ends up liquidy; usually resulting in some very funny first-time faces. When I told Adam I was making some veggie jelly for O, the first thing he said was, "oh, let's eat it with a straw!"
My first attempt was not straw-able at all! As Adam suggested it had the density of wine gums! But the result was sensory fun for O, easy to make for me and tasted pretty good.

Agar agar is sea vegetable flakes found at health food stores. It is an alternative to gelatin for vegans.

Fruit Jelly
~2 cups of 100% fruit juice (or combination of juices)
~2 tablespoons of agar agar
Bring to a boil. Simmer until agar agar flakes have dissolved (around 5 minutes.) Pour and let set.

We poured the hot liquid into little bowls, which easily slid out. I had left some in the pot and it made a shallow pancake, which was great for cookie cutter hearts!

Happy Children's Day!