Grandma's in the House

Six months sans hugs!

O and I had the pleasure of hosting my mothers third visit in Shanghai since O's birth. There are many years I had the privilege of travel and work, but it was not until I called and said, "It's a Girl!" that my mother has decided to leave her abode and get on a plane; THREE TIMES in 16 months!

It is heart-warming as a mommy to know how much your daughter is loved by her relatives. It is astonishing as a mommy to think that your mother loves you like you love your own child! Which my dear old reminds me, as I boast about O and ask if it is alright to love your child this much! She assures me it is.

The reality is that this is the first grandchild on my side and we live literally oceans away. This was the first visit in six months and that is far too long for my mom to wait for a hug. She copes very well though, living with Skype dates and not lecturing me too often on bringing O back to Canada.

There is a flip side that my mom and I discuss, about how living abroad helps you come into your own as a mommy without the pressures of well-meaning relatives. I understand that 'a village raises a child' and believe it, but the key may be finding which village supports your parenting philosophy. 

Of course, we make the most of the time we are together, talk moms ear off, look forward to all the treats she brings from Canada and get in those hugs when we can.