Waldorf-Inspired Wood


Treasures

Our apartment complex had the above 5 branches from a tree stacked near the garbage last week.
Being my fathers daughter, I have no trouble delving in the garbage for treasures that I think I can salvage with a little creativity! However, this particular time it was my DH who finally got the guts to just take them, after I was pining for them every time I walked by!
First O and I went out to the balcony on a beauty of a Fall afternoon, to give the branches a power wash.

Then on the weekend, we measured ten of each 1, 2 & 3 inch pieces for Dabby to saw.
One 7 inch piece will serve as a threading log.
It smelled like Christmas!

Lastly, I took some sandpaper and smoothed out the bark.

We found some cute wooden animals so we will include these in the canvas bag with the pieces of wood for imaginative play. You can add other elements like small and large pebbles, shells, sand, plants etc. to expand on the type of theme evolving from play.
The possibilities are endless...
~outdoor fairy homes
~safari-inspired play
~natural habitats for animals
~math games (using the different heights)