Painting as a Process

Potato for the Process

It's good practice for unschooling to 'unteach' and sit back while O explores new territory, or expands on old. Simply observing her process, I am also learning about her and what tweaks her interests. The basis of unschooling encourages interest-driven curriculum, on the notion that we learn best when we enjoy what we are doing.

Yesterday, I set out some supplies for painting (potato stamps, Q-tips, paper & paint) and allowed her to develop her own process without any comments on my part. I don't realize how much I talk, until I shut-up purposefully! Not only did she enjoy her time exploring, I was strongly reminded that there are many ways to develop processes of painting.

Stamping
Q-Tips
Pointillism
Drip Drawing

"Drip drawing" inspired a whole new twist on painting, which involved a lot of moving & dumping paint.



Once she was finished, she asked to wash up and we hung her work to dry.
I even held back making remarks on what I thought about her painting, so to avoid judging.
The key was she enjoyed the process and that is what matters most.