Tell Me A Story: Story Stones & Linen Bag

Story Stones & Linen Bag

Brilliant ladies at 'Crafting Connections', created Story Stones along with the little Tell-Me-A-Story bag.
http://www.craftingconnections.net/the-blog/story-stones/
Very much inspired and seeking a lino-print project, I got down to business.

First introduced to the Art of Lino-Print by my middle-school art teacher, Miss Nellie, I was hooked.
It has been years since I have attempted a print, so I needed to brush up my skills.
Essentials (bought at Curry's in Canada....


Brayer

This rubber roller serves to spread the ink evenly over the linoleum tile.
You can also use a clean one to roll over the back of the tile, to ensure it makes contact with printing surface.

Cutting Tool
Blades

'Speedball' has the cutting handle and blades all-in-one, with a handy screw top compartment in the handle.


Linoleum Tile

This soft, rubbery tile is the surface used for cutting into.
The images in black will stand out. Whatever is not penciled in, will be cut out.

Second Attempt

I thought I could break the rules and use general acrylics (fab for fabric) in place of printing ink.
I was mistaken. The acrylic was not thin enough and made a 'globby' print.
Buying ink meant for printing, is essential. I had several bottles and chose orange.

Large & Small Bags

I still have left-over linen from our Tee-Pee we made three years ago. Though I love the look and feel of linen, I am not as fond of sewing with it. So I included a printed cotton liner that made sewing a little sturdier (and finishes off the inside nicely too!)

Gift Bag

 Rock-Painting Kit

As one is meant to be a gift for friends, I printed and mounted a Tell-Me-A-Story gift tag.
Also included is a few bottles of acrylic paint, wooden palette, glitter, googly eyes and paintbrushes, so the children can create Story Stones of their own choosing.

EXPAND ON STORY STONES
'Poppits Cupboard' uses family members on their Story Stones http://www.poppitscupboard.com/2011/07/story-stones.html

Rock Monsters have googly eyes http://www.freekidscrafts.com/rock_monsters-e1962.html for some kooky designs and fun story themes.

Pinterest. Type in 'Story Stones' or 'Painted Stones'