Mine: Sharing is Overrated

Mine all mine!
I am horrible at sharing.
When a new baby is welcomed to the family and the older sibling struggles with having to share their home, toys and, of all things, their PARENTS, we encourage them to open up their minds and hearts.
But as my mother has said, imagine your husband introducing the idea of a third person into your relationship.
Likely would not go over so well.

I noticed that when we started having our babies, we had to watch our language and our behaviour.
Especially as children age and pick up on everything we say and do.
We are their first role models and essentially that means always being on our best behaviour.
Frankly, being on your best behaviour all the time is BORING.
It is a load of work and not always much fun.
Naturally, O has not missed out on my inadequacies in the sharing department!

She hoards our things in little cache's around the house.
If Baby C dares to look at one of O's toys, she whips is away from baby's sight.
Any time Baby C manages to pull her mothers attention in another direction....storms set in!
Who can blame the kid.
Sharing is overrated.
Check in with yourself. How many times in a day do you tell your child, 'that's Mommy's/Daddy's'?

Now, if O (or I) refuse to share something, our only request is that she find a suitable replacement.
This works. Everyone wins.
For now.

EXPAND ON SHARING
Toddlers Rules of Possession. I cannot remember where I found this, but the list is remarkably accurate! And does not just apply to toddlers!
1. If I like it, it's mine.
2. If it's in my hand, it's mine.
3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.
4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
6. If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
7. If it looks just like mine, it's mine.
8. If I saw it first, it's mine.
9. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it's automatically mine.
10. If it's broken, it's yours.

EXPAND ON SHARING
BOOKS!. Big Red Lollipop. This fabulously illustrated book of three sisters was a winner in our house. We found it on We Give Books.org but it has since been removed from the site.