Reading Signs: Early Literacy

Street Signs

Back in my days as a nanny in Denmark, I could not yet speak or read Danish, but I could definitely understand the park pictograph of a squatting dog pooping and a big red dash through the center!

The best part about pictographs are they are (generally) universal.
And an introduction to literacy.

O is starting to read street signs and is quite proud of herself, since I keep reminding her that she IS in fact, reading. 

It amazes me that O can even look at Chinese characters (essentially pictographs that have transformed over many years) in a book and recognize that these are not an alphabet and therefore, I cannot read them to her.

EXPAND ON EARLY LITERACY
Red light, Green light. Easy and well-loved game. Cut each red and green circle and paste to popsicle stick (chopsticks are more easily attainable here!) Have children dance, walk, hop or drive their vehicle of choice while you hold up your street signs.