Origami: Himmel od Hoelle


Old School Origami

Back in the old schoolyard, prior to video games and cell phones, kids still played marbles, skipping and "Himmel od Hoelle" (German translation: Heaven or Hell) with squares of paper. It also goes by the name 'Cooty Catcher', so I'm not sure which is the lesser of two evils!
At that time, we used this origami fortune teller to determine if we'd live in a mansion or a cardboard box...and how many kids we'd have. When I told my husband O and I were making these, he knew exactly what I was talking about.

Red Ted's Art is a fabulous site for idea's. They offered this "Himmel od Hoelle" video tutorial http://www.redtedart.com/2013/11/21/origami-ideas-kids/


Bird's Beak

This origami doubles as a birds beak for a quick puppet craft. A
dd eyes, feathers and a tongue inside.

Game Time

Instead of helping O envision her future, under the flaps we wrote 'activities' such as: jumping, running and kissing her parents and sister!