Parenting Picks: Yes Day

 Liquid Lunch

'Yes Day' was born today from having chores to do and not being able to get my busy O busy on her own project. Sadly, when she was wee, 'Yes Day' was most days. I understood her need to explore and be curious meant rich-learning experiences, so we avoided using 'no' and replaced it with words like 'danger' or 'gentle' when we had to set some limits.
Nowadays, 'no' happens more frequently, if I let it take over.
But when I consciously throw in a 'Yes Day' I remember quickly how all of us win.

 Soap Soup

O's exploration involved a lot of liquid soap; 'Soap Soup' as she informed me, that she was making for her Cabbage Patch doll. 
Soap was everywhere. 
She was thrilled and I never said a thing. 
She kept retrieving containers and over-filling them.


I kept reminding myself how clean my floors would be...for once!
And to see O happily and heartily involved in her efforts was well worth the soap-rink she created!


'Yes Day' is a nice way to end the year...and I think I'll incorporate them into my resolution for 2014.

Note!
Hubby's always want in on their own personal 'Yes Days' too...so beware!

EXPAND ON POSITIVE PLAYTIME
Just for Today. This poem was brought to my attention years ago, by my dear friend Jurga. It was written by the mother of a boy with autism. A gentle reminder to parents how to loosen our life for the privilege of having children in it. http://www.cathye.com/momjustfortoday.htm

Write a personalized 'Just For Today' based on the curiosities and interests of your own children.
"Just for today, I will smile when you wake up crying and scoop you in my arms until you feel relaxed.
Just for today, I'll remember to let you turn on the lights, flush the toilet, start the heater, play the music...because you feel so helpful when you contribute to our day.
Just for today, I'll let you eat oatmilk and oats for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 
Just for today, I will nuzzle your neck with my nose, every time I think of you.
Just for today, I'll not set a limit on how many books I can read. You keep bringing them and I'll keep reading them.
Just for today, I'll remember how I longed for you and what a privilege you are."