Small World Activity:Ice Rink


 Small World Ice Rink

Nurture Store this week features Small World Activities http://nurturestore.co.uk/small-world-activities
We opted for a miniature ice rink. We cut cardboard and covered it in foil. I added some cotton balls, wooden blocks and animals.
As with most activities, O had her own spin on the materials provided within minutes!

 Sleeping in the Snow

M: "Can I play with the ice rink?"
O: "No sorry. There's snow on it."
She covered the rink with 'snowballs' so her animals could have a soft space to sleep.

Then she presented me with a box filled with cotton balls.
O: "Here's popcorn."
M: "Can I have some?"
O: "No it's for your daughter."
I'm guessing she did not mean Baby C.

 Pig Meets Snowgirl

Baby C was quite happy to get her hands on a big white pom pom.


 Steady now...
 ...what the what! How did it get up there!?
Ahh! Good stuff! 

EXPAND ON POM POM PLAY
Felting. A while back, we attempted making felt balls, meant for garland necklaces.
They were trickier than I anticipated, but I think I need another go to get the hang of them.
They are a great sensory activity involving all the things kids will love working with: water, soap and fuzzy coloured felt.
You can expand the lesson further, by stringing with needle and thread, for a funky, chunky necklace or garland for over the headboard etc.