Parenting Picks: Brave


These are our daughters.

These are our daughters on TV.

Seriously intent as to what is happening on the boob tube.
Well, we actually don't have a TV, but we definitely like to search the computer for interesting material.
Media can be a great tool for learning and conversation.
At the very least, learning points of view and recognizing sources of information.
Then a whole slew of world topics on top of that.

At one of our favourite sandwich stops in Shanghai, they were playing an artist that was new to me.
I asked the cashier if he would write the artists name on our receipt and he scribbled down 'Zee Avi'.
We immediately looked her up and played her music non-stop. The first piece we found was an original she wrote and played on her ukelele: Just You and Me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWXXFT2RccY
We have purchased her music but my favourite of hers, remains this song.

In searches for other Zee Avi tunes, we came across a cover she did for Winters Song.
The original artist?
Sara Bareilles.
On Pinterest, I read a Sara Barielle's lyric quote, "How big is your brave?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUQsqBqxoR4
This is my daughters watching this quirky and adorable video for about the 20th time!

EXPAND ON MUSIC VIDEO'S
I Choose You. Sara Barielle's had us hooked. We were watching more of her work on YouTube, when we found I Choose You and the video is a sweet marriage proposal to two girlfriends Barielle's agreed to take part in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjE5D9cHiOk&list=RDxjE5D9cHiOk

Learning Language; Mandarin Lessons. O is amazing at learning language through songs, so we often look up Mandarin children's songs..and find her singing them hours later! The video's remind us of China! 
Shang Xue Ge (English lyrics http://learnchinese.gbtimes.com/3830/%E4%B8%8A%E5%AD%A6%E6%AD%8C-shang-xue-ge-going-school
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTRjsVtFGvs
If You Love Me (O LOVES this one!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOpdwPi6hdg

Media for Good Causes. Check out this pro-breastfeeding titty...I mean ditty! https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RD-dw2XHMUnyE&v=-dw2XHMUnyE
Bank on singing this tune for the rest of the day!

Our favourites. We became 'Passenger' fans while in Shanghai. I watch these video's with Olivia often. It just makes me wish I knew how to play guitar!  So many good songs!
Patient Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efp7Zhcb-gM 
Beneath Your Beautiful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMIYe9qfbXE 
Let Her Go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUaqwwq8PXo
Holes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW7WH2j4Y3o
Things That Stop You Dreaming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJfnELzAOCA