Candy Cane Science

 The Famed Cane

Daddy brought home a box of candy canes for the Christmas tree.
O cannot stop thinking about them.
In fact, on those rare moments where she is off on her own and quiet, I can imagine that she is tucked away with her stolen treasure;) And when I find her, she is smiling green and red all over.
 Pic #1

So I thought I would put the candy canes to other uses, besides bringing my child to hyper for the holidays. We used a load on decorating (and leaving) a gingerbread house with her cousins. Then I found this science experiment on Little Bins for Little Hands http://littlebinsforlittlehands.com/peppermint-water-science-sensory-play/
Before placing pieces in water, I asked about the colour of the candy canes and what O thought they were made of. "Sugar and colour" couldn't be more accurate!

 Pic #2

I asked what she thought might happen when we put them in water, to which she had no verbal reply, but made a mixing motion with her hands.
You could introduce a mini chemistry lesson with children a bit older http://www.inquiryinaction.org/chemistryreview/solids/ , but we just learned some new words like, dissolve, solids and liquids.

 Pic #3

Before the final Pic #4, we headed out for a walk and when we returned, I was shocked to see what had happened to one of the pieces (below).

Pic #4

As I was examining it and trying to think up an explanation for why the sugar molecules would have branched out instead of dissolved in the water, my little scientist told me she had conducted her own experiment, unbeknownst to me.
"Isn't that cool mom? I put little pieces of noodle on it!"
Thanks, Sherlock.

EXPAND ON HOLIDAY SCIENCE
STEM. Is all the talk in the education domain. Science Technology Engineering and Math. 
If you are a toy producer, you find a way to advertise your product using this acronym and you're all set. 
If you're a Do-It-Yourselfer, you can explore your home, shed and basement for tools and scraps to suffice.
Little Bins for Little Hands has a selection of holiday activities based on STEM http://littlebinsforlittlehands.com/christmas-stem-ideas-kids/  with objects easily found around the home.