For the Love of La Leche

O's 'Good-Bye' Flowers from La Leche League Shanghai

Before bed, O was playing the role of the La Leche League leader on the phone.
She has been attending monthly meetings with me since she was 4 months in utero and it was her first official outing after she was born.
She has been attending as long as I have.
La Leche has had an enormous impact on my life as a mother, but I hadn't realized how informed she is about breastfeeding, until this conversation.

After a few minutes of listening to her play a leader, I pretended to call her.
 I love the brevity and directness of her replies!
M: "Brrrring. Brrrring."
O: "Yes!"
M: "Yes, La Leche League? Can you help me?"
O: "Yes."
M: "My baby is biting. What can I do?"
O: "Before she bites, take her off of your nipple."
M: "Okay thanks! Bye!"

O: 'Mom, call again."

("Brrring. Brrrring. Niceties. Etc Etc.)

M: "Hi, I was wondering, when is your next meeting?"
O: "Anytime you want!"
M: "How about tomorrow, around 10. Where is it?"
O: "Breast Street."

M: "Hi, I have a four year old that still wants to nurse. Is that okay?"
O: "Sure, if you allow it." (she actually used the word, 'allow'!)

M: "Umm, I just had a baby and the nurse said I can't breastfeed for a few days. What should I do?"
O: "Switch nurses."

M: "I have twins. How can I nurse them?"
O: (whispers to me) "Mom, can I put the pretend phone down. I need my hands? (continues conversation with mom of twins, demonstrating all the while) "You can give one breast to one baby and have your four year old hold up your top to give the other breast to the other baby."
M: "You mean I can nurse them both at the same time?"
O: "Yes. If you want to."

M: "My baby wants to nurse all night. I keep having to go and get her. Is this okay?"
O: "Yes. Move her crib beside you."

M: "My baby is spitting up every time I nurse. What should I do?"
O: "Put a wet wipe under you."

M: (not breastfeeding related, but still information-seeking
"My four year old doesn't want to get her needle next week. What should I do?"
O: "Don't make her."
M: "My one year old also needs a needle. What should I do?"
O: "The needle is very quick. Then give her milk."
M: "So it's okay to give my baby a needle, but not my four year old?"
O: "That's right."