Little Stars

 Simple & Sophisticated

I loved this project.
Not only did it cover a little math and art, touched on the M in STEM for a daily double whammy of Science (see Candy Cane Science) and Math (Little Stars)...but it also encompassed the belief that less is more, my motto for the new year.
Simple and sophisticated.


O had her first go at the protractor.
For the New Year, Discovery Stations are in the plans and I had completely forgotten about the protractor as a math (or art) tool.


As usual, I refrained from filling her brain with what the protractor is meant to do and waited to see how she used it. Children's use of newly introduced tools are often either a) accurate or b) innovative.
In some cases, I use the tool before her as a demo, being careful not to turn it into a "lesson", lest she lose interest (or at the expense of quelling her innovative advances!)
"Lesson" = less.
It boxes in the options.

She certainly was innovative.
She found it frustrating to keep the pin on a point to make a circle, so she used my circle as an Art Prompt for a drawing, completing two eyes circled with eyelashes and the outline of a head.
Then she proceeded to drip water on the piece, making it look like it was crying.
I wouldn't hand this over to an art therapist! But I think it's stunning.
Of course, I'm a bit biased!