Exploration Station: Scale & Measurement

 Bit's & Pieces

For the New Year, we've planned to incorporate Exploration Stations into our weekly learning opportunities.
We kicked off with a Math Station by presenting O with this tray of bits and pieces.
Over the week, we will re-introduce this tray, so today it was important that I allow her to truly explore without much interruption on my part.


As I went about making lunch, I put the new items on display.
She was immediately drawn to these mysterious tools.
Without a word from me about the bits & pieces, she had the scale put together in minutes and was beginning to add the weights.



She had classed them according to their sizes by giving them names like, Daddy, Mommy and Baby.
(I think there was a "Nurse" in there too.)


I was stunned to see how determined she was to get the scale balanced and work out the methods for doing so.
At this point I stepped in and asked questions.
"How do you get the scale to balance?"
"Which side is heavier?"
"How do you know when it's level?"
She was the 'expert' and I was the interested student learning about measurement!


When Baby C woke up, she had her turn.
She hummed a little tune while placing the weights in their base stations before adding them to the scale over and over again;)
She had a very different method for creating balance, by just tugging on the side that needed help!