Tapioca Pearls: The Edible Light Table
Baby Body Boarding
For months I have been waiting to introduce the Light Table, but generally the activities involve bits and pieces that Baby C would just love to eat and likely shouldn't.
I considered using Tapioca Balls, like the Bubble Tea shops in Asia...and was not the first to think of this one! http://www.kidsplaybox.com/sensory-activities-edible-water-beads/
They are a fantastic (edible) sensory medium!
Very much like water beads, except you can eat them!
Very much like water beads, except you can eat them!
We picked up the tapioca balls at the Asian food market for under $2, although these are not the quick-cooking ones, I found out an hour after boiling them;)
They are meant to boil until clear, as the edges become transparent all the way to the starchy center.
We didn't cook them beyond an hour (leaving the centers solid) before taking them out to mix with food colouring.
Since I was certain Baby C would inhale these little morsels, we started with the clear ones (saving the red and purple variety for O only.)
They looked lovely on the Light Table.
Very much like frog's eggs!
Both O and Baby C couldn't wait to taste them.
Sticky, chewy, FUN!
And the minute I turned my head, Baby C slithered her little Snake self right on top of the table.
When she stood up, she had collected the lot on her clothes;)