Wonder Wall

 Wonder Wall

Recently, I came across this fabulous article about incorporating a Wonder Wall into the home.
I've seen Word Wall's in classrooms, but I thought the Wonder Wall would be a decent activity for all of us to use as brain exercises, not just the wee ones.
O has no shortage of questions and it's good for her to see that we still have many questions unanswered ourselves.
It started one evening after we had been learning about building igloo's. I was lying there wondering how on earth Inuit-Yupik go to the bathroom...and where?! (We have since learned some interesting things about poop! http://boingboing.net/2008/09/26/wade-davis-an-inuit.html)
At the same time, O was asking it aloud.
It became our first question (still unanswered for anyone who's aware...)

No, You cannot sprout basil.

Some questions are followed by an experiment.
This was the case with the basil-sprouting question, that was actually mine.
I was lacking supplies for sprouting when I found some random basil seeds.
A few minutes after soaking them, they looked like frogs eggs!
Apparently, it can reduce germination time to soak seeds before planting http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/seeds/soaking-seeds.htm, but if you're looking for mason jar sprouts, you won't have any soon with basil seeds.



Roughly estimating, my guess is no less than millions of questions must be asked by the average child each year.Good for them!
As an adult, I find that I don't ask enough questions.
Or very frequently, the questions I ask as a parent, don't seem worthy of Wonder!

M: "Can anyone tell me why there is a pad stuck to the teepee?"

Since we made the Wonder Wall, I found I'm listening a little more to the questions being asked and being completely dumb-founded more often than not!

O: "How do you make sky?"
O: "Do the sun and moon get together?"
O: "What colour is a chameleon when it's born?"
O: "Why can't we eat icing for breakfast?"
Good question.
Why not.

EXPAND ON WONDER WALLS
To Keep or Not to Keep? We didn't do any special Wonder Wall prep, we simply devote a section of our chalkboard wall to writing questions. As we answer the questions, we erase them and add new. 
My favourite inquisitions I add to our yearly Shutterfly book that documents our homeschool life.
The family that inspired the idea wrote their questions on poster paper to be saved.

Inspiration Banner. I've seen it done and it's sweet. Write your favourite quotes or questions to be framed as works of art around the home.http://growingkinders.blogspot.ca/2013/07/favorite-pins-friday.html (scroll down)