Silhouette & Self
"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are"
~e.e.cummings
Not only is it a physical outline of the child, but offers tidbits about who they are.
It seems we do a yearly 'Silhouette' project http://mamadrool.blogspot.ca/2014/09/daily-doodle-silhouette.html
The first challenge was to find a way to have both O & Baby C sit for their portrait!
Their shadow 'alter ego's' were entertaining them!
The second challenge was getting them to describe themselves.
I have lots of idea's about who I think they are, but I wanted to understand their version of themselves and not impose my own thoughts.
When I asked, "What are you like?" the responses were mostly things they like, but not who they are.
After a bit of discussion and examples about "describing people/things", we decided to include all their remarks.
I asked O if she could describe her sister, "She eats dirt and she likes chipmunks."
Surprisingly, when I asked Baby C to tell me about herself, she responded,
"Ummmm....Love daddy's phone.
Ummmm...Love kissing mommy, daddy and O-yi-vi-a.
Eat snails!"
(followed by chomping her teeth!)
O is very much into writing, so she dictated her thoughts while I wrote them on spare paper.
Later, she was able to copy them into her silhouette.
She put little lines in a left hand margin, to place each point!
EXPAND ON SELF
Photo Blocks. I love this project and have these blocks stacked on our art table. They always make me smile! http://mamadrool.blogspot.ca/2015/01/photo-blocks-ham-for-cam.html
It's a great way to display a range of emotions!
Only One You by Linda Krantz. Such a cute little story about parent fish giving their child fish some life advice.
"Find your own way. You don't have to follow the crowd."
"Set aside some quiet time to relax and reflect every day."
"No matter how you look at it, there is so much to discover."
The message in the end; "There is only one you." In both English and Spanish.
Unstoppable Me by Dr. Wayne Dyer. This is the first I had heard about the infamous American self-help author, Dyer. it was recommended on one of the blog book lists I frequent. Very well done, so we're headed to the library to get his accompanying book, 'Incredible You'.
There is a list of questions at the end, to get children (and their parents!) thinking about each of the ten points. O's answers were very amusing!!
Unstoppable Me!
#1 "You're great. No matter what."
#2 "Persistence pays off."
#3 "Welcome the unknown."
#4 "You have a choice."
#5 "Farewell to worry."
#6 "Peace begins with you."
#7 Enjoy the here and now."
#8 "Healthy me"
#9 "Creativity is the key"
#10 "What can you give?"