Doon Village Christmas


A trip to the museum is a fully loaded lesson every time.
We frequent this museum in particular, because there is something for everyone and always new things to discover.
They hosted a Village Christmas for homeschoolers.
The place quickly filled up with a strong community of families that learn from home (lots of which takes place outside of home!)


It was particularly chilly so Baby C dressed accordingly, in her over sized cow tuque!


Inside the Village Variety they had a host of Christmas gifts from the early 1900's on display; tiny China tea sets, dainty embroidered handkerchiefs, vintage dolls and a miniature wood stove that fully functions as an original Easy Bake Oven!


Of the many times we visit this museum every year, this was the first time I have taken a tour in the actual indoor museum! Essentially, it's a historical timeline of our local community.

In light of current world issues and Canada's current debate about our willingness to safely welcome refugee's, I was taken by the entrance exhibit which features immigrants and their stories.
I CAME FOR LOVE
I CAME FOR PEACE.
I CAME FOR EDUCATION.
I CAME FOR FREEDOM.
I CAME FOR A BETTER LIFE.

Surrounded by stories, suitcases and travel tickets is a screen that plays the stories of immigrants from around the world and their first impressions of our country. 
As a child that learned to speak two languages, I became my families translator.
Everything was new.
People are polite and helpful.
I was worried that I would have to give up my culture, but it's okay to practice your customs here.

 Listening In
They host a number of hands-on displays and not just exhibits to examine and read about.


 Vintage Combine

When you take a good look around, it's hard to imagine how much work went into collecting all these pieces and bringing them in for history lessons. Giant antique combines, village homes brought from Peterborough and restored safely, family heirlooms. They cover a little of everything; food & farming, sports, arts, dress, transportation, medical.

One section is devoted to changing fashions from the early 1900's to present day.


In this photo, young people are gathered at a Waterloo Dance.
The ladies have removed their shoes and the men must choose the shoes that will belong to their dance partner!


I looked down at my own attire and asked if my husband would pick the practical owner sporting these boots!
Long Day Done