Balance Wheel

 Balance Wheel

More often than not, I'm way off when it comes to predicting the interest-level of any particular project planned. Projects I suspect will be met with enthusiasm, are quickly completed and tossed to the wayside. Projects I fear are too tough are tackled with a great sense of confidence and profound insight.
If nothing else, it's a healthy and constant reminder to me that I can never assume I know my children.
They evolve and change constantly. 
They are far more capable than I credit them for and can be trusted to judge what is relevant in their lives.
I must always be asking questions and listening intently to understand more about the people they are. 
As GBShaw was quoted,

“The only man I know who behaves sensibly is my tailor; he takes my measurements anew each time he sees me. The rest go on with their old measurements and expect me to fit them.” 


The construction of a Balance Wheel; looking at aspects of one's life and mentally measuring where scales are tipped,  seemed like a mature exercise for a five and newly-minted three year old.
I was sorely mistaken.

I presented them with a circle each, already divided into six, equal spaces and labeled, Health, Relationships, Work, Play/Creativity, Rest & Sense of Purpose, leaving this topic for last.
I explained that we were going to brainstorm words for each topic, before they created representational sketches in each division.
I made sure to let their idea's flow without my own suggestions.


"What do you think of when you hear the word Health?"
 "Medicine, like pills (homeopathics),
hospital,
massage,
going to Jonah (our osteopath),
eating good foods,
no candy,
relaxing,
sleeping,
doing Jamie (our yoga lessons),
exercise (Ms. C's contribution!)"

"What about the word Rest?"
"Falling asleep,
hammocks"

"And Work?"
"Making food,
playing with Milo,
Chinese School,
learning languages"

"How about Play or Creativity?"
"Darmand/dolls,
pretending,
sculptures with paper,
cut-out paper"

"Relationships?"
"What does that mean?"
"People in your life."
"Camille,
Milo,
Mommy."

"Do you understand Sense of Purpose? 
How and why you are on Earth?"
"Because of your eggs and to play in tree's!"

"If all these parts of your life are balanced, near equal, chances are you'll feel very good, happy, positive.
When these parts are not balanced?"
"We'll be grumpy."

Ms. O went to work drawing sweet little sketches.
I sat there wondering when exactly the little egg she claims to have been, turned into such a clever little human being:)

We'll now keep these on display for reference and reminder.
As usual, I'm not sure who learned more from todays lesson.

EXPAND ON FINDING LIFE BALANCE
Fill Your Bucket. Fabulous book, similar concept. To feel good, we must have our buckets full.

Balance Wheels. A similar Balance Whhel is represented in this article, by Deepak Chopra's daughter. http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-18207/how-to-live-with-intent-even-if-youre-super-busy-stressed-out.html

Yoga Blog http://yogatime.tv/blog/ #yoga #yogainspiration #yogapose #video…: