Daily Doodle: The Boy & The Apple


'Artful Parent' has written about offering children to draw while listening to a story.
As I was introducing 'The Boy & The Apple' from 'Tell Me a Story', I asked Ms. O if she would be interested in drawing. She was out of the room to grab some pencil crayons and paper scraps before I could finish my question.

By the time I reached the end of the short story, she presented an illustration of the two main characters {a boy and his grandfather}and the setting of the first scene {sitting by the fire, including the hearth rug}, even the time period that she assumed the story took place {hence the top hats!}

The different expressions on their faces, the way the boy is holding the rim of his hat, the double line of flames and what I interpreted as the dried cracks in burnt wood are all examples of how she pictures the scene in her minds eye.