Math Monday: Numbers in Nature


Most parents that have any sense about them, notice from early on in their parenting journey that their children will indeed be smarter than they are, if not already.
It should be that way, after all.
Every generation should improve on the past.
Every parent would love to take credit for their intelligent offspring.


When I introduced 'Numbers in Nature' as a Waldorf math activity, my request to the kids was to come up with something in nature that relates to numbers.

M: "For example, there is one sun."
Miss O: "Actually, no there isn't...you forgot about the...."
Me: "Fine, whatever. Planet Earth is warmed by one sun."

And thus, began our Math Monday.

Later, during the art portion...

Me: "Sorry for bothering you. 
Just curious, why your background is dark, 
since sun represents daytime?
Miss O: "It's in outer space."
Me: "Yes. Of course. 
Silly me. I'll be quiet now."

I post a lot of lovely activities planned each week. 
But do not be fooled. 
I spend most of my week being humbled by people much younger and all of the year wondering who is actually learning more.

Welcome to homeschool 2018-19.