The Marshmellow Experiment


Dad brought home vegan marshmellows for toasting on a fire.
Mom had an experiment in mind!

A totally amazing (amusing!) experiment!
I was reading a parenting article and came across the idea; how to test whether or not your child is able to delay gratification and what that implies for their future.
For a good laugh, watch this video!
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_oy9614HQ
I set up the kids to see how they would fare.
"Until I return, you need to stay seated. 
In front of you is your marshmellow. 
You are welcome to eat it now, however if you wait until I come back, I will give you two in total."


Then I explained that I was going in the kitchen to set up for the mornings engineering activity (which was totally the truth! It bought me some serious time!)
The instant I turned my back, the conversation began....

Miss C: "Are you going to eat yours Milo?"
Mr. M: "I like them, but I'm not going to eat it."
Miss C: "It's tempting, right!?"
{singing ensued}
Mr. M: "I'm not going to eat them."
Miss C: "Are you tempted?"
Mr.M: "No, I'm not temmped."
{math began} 
Miss O: "If none of us eat them, we'll have six in total."
{debate began about how many they could eat, 
if they had unlimited number}

At this point, I returned to take a photo...


Me: "I'm just returning for a photo."
Miss C: "See, we haven't eaten them."
Me: "You can."
Miss C: "We won't!"
{I exit}
Miss C: "She is trying to tempt us!"
Mr.M : "It's pretty good. I licked it!
MOM! CAN I LICK IT?
Me: No.
Mr. M: "I DIDN'T. ONLY PRETEND."
 

Around the corner I was giggling away and decided to finally let them have their long-awaited reward.
More debating occured about who would eat one, or both and which would be saved for later.
They all rewarded themselves with one, except Mr. M ate both as fast as possible!

Miss O: "Wait a minute. 
Does our activity also involve marshmellows?
Me: "Yes. Will that help you decide if you're going to eat both now?
Miss O: "For sure!" 
{popped the second in her mouth!}

The eldest are incredible at saving their treats. I wasn't shocked at their ability to wait. 
However, the fact that the youngest waited, floored me!
When they did arrive, he did not deny himself a second more. When those were done, he worked his sisters trying to figure out how to get theirs!