Word Wednesday: Worm-Friendly Dissection
I absolutely fell in love with this idea and probably found it more fascinating than the kids; paper dissection!
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Earthworm-Paper-Dissection-Scienstructable-3D-Dissection-Model-1502191
In middle and highschool, I remember entering science class and cringing when it came time to bust open a formaldehyded frog or pig fetus. Eventually, I ended up refusing to participate and the teachers had no alternative for gaining knowledge, the consequence was simply losing marks.
With this age of technology, I'm sure many science students are able to learn without harming actual animals.
However, this paper dissection was perfect for being able to witness what happens inside a worm, while keeping all live worms intact.
To keep it fairly simple, we did not cover the entire anatomy, but touched on the basics.
https://www.carolina.com/teacher-resources/Interactive/open-versus-closed-circulatory-system-dissection-of-the-crayfish-and-earthworm/tr23005.tr
Since worms digestive process greatly aids our quality of soil (and subsequent production of food) this was the focus; from mouth to anus.
The kids painted the EXTERIOR and INTERIOR to identify various parts.
We also discussed how we are similar and different from worms; the most obvious being we are vertebrates while they are invertebrates.