Medieval Europe: St. George & the Dragon DRAMA

 



HERALD:

Good gentles, you are here today

To see our humble play

St George and the Dragon

Enter now, the Dragon

DRAGON

I am the Dragon, here are my jaws!

I am the Dragon, here are my claws!

I seek meat, Meat, Meat!

Meat for me to eat!

HERALD

Enter the King & Princess

KING (to PRINCESS)
He says he’ll rip the land apart

If we do not feed him

This Dragon has no heart

And we cannot flee him

PRINCESS

Then feed him, Papa

DRAGON

Yes, I am hungry, I am wild

I must now-eat a child

Well, hello there Miss!

KING

Woe is me, Darling Daughter

To be alive to see your slaughter

PRINCESS

Fear now, Good King

My life I give to save the land

On Heavens ground

I soon shall stand

HERALD

Enter St George

GEORGE

By God, a beautiful Damsel in

Distress is she

Good day, Lady!

PRINCESS

Good youth, spur on your horse

Fly away! Take another course

This Dragon is about to grind me

In his dreadful jaws

GEORGE

I will not take one step from here

Unless I rescue you from fear

My horse, my sword, my shield and I

Will bring this monster forth to die!

GEORGE (to PRINCESS)

Now place your belt around his neck

Tame as a dog, he will not hurt a speck.

(they begin to walk away but the belt slips off the dragons nexk. Fight scene. Dragon attacks princess by pulling her hair. He wounds George and the King. George manages to stab him. In walks the Doctor.)

HERALD

Enter, old Doctor

DOCTOR

I am the Doctor, I cure all ills

Just gulp my potions and awallow my pills

I can cure the itch, the stitch

The pox the palsy and the gout

All pains within and all pains without.

(Hands pills to all)

Get up, Good King! Get up, his Daughter

You are too good to end in slaughter.

Get up, St George, old Englands knight

You wounded the Dragon, I’ll finish the fight.

(Doctor forces pills down weakened Dragons throat.

With sound and fury, Dragon threatens thrashes, thuds and dies)

HERALD

So ends our tale with a round of applause

Now you can give to a very fine cause

(Holds out frying pan to audience)

For in my hand is a frying pan

We’re here to collect all the money we can!

 (from the book Knights & Castles by Avery Hart)